Kings County News
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Call to Remembrance – Will be held at Branch #98, Kingston, for students in grades 7, 8 and 9, beginning at 8 a.m. Public invited to attend. Storm date Feb. 8. www.kingstonlegion.com
• Jam Session - at the Cambridge Community Centre, 7 p.m. Bring the talent or come to enjoy the music. Please bring item for a lunch. Coffee/tea provided. Freewill offering at the door.
• Roast beef dinner – at the Wolfville Lions’ Club, 5-7 p.m. Fundraiser for 1st Wolfville Scouts attending 2013 Canadian Jamboree. Tickets: $13 adults, $9 ages 10 and under. Eat-in or take-out. Buy a ticket or donate one to local food bank. Info: sites.google.com/site/wolfvillescouts. To buy tickets, call: 680-2693 or e-mail email@example.com
• Valentines Dance - Kentville Lions Club, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., River St. Kentville, $5 per person, must be 19 and over. Music by Bev. Proceeds help the Lions help others.
• Tea - Port Williams Women’s Institute 100th anniversary tea, Port Williams Community Centre,
2 to 4 p.m., $5 per person
• Benefit dance and auction - 6:30 to 11 pm. at the Michelin Club. Proceeds to Frank Webster. All donations welcome. For information, call John 365-2105 or 840-0811 or Donna 681-1386
• Afternoon Outdoors –Berwick Pathfinders and Rangers (Girl Guides of Canada) invite families to spend the afternoon outdoors, with games and fun at the Berwick town hall, 2-3:30 p.m. Part of Berwick’s Winter Carnival weekend. If it rains, cancelled.
• Benefit Breakfast - at the Burlington community hall, 8-11a.m. All proceeds go to Linda and Avery Mapplebeck of Victoria Harbour. Linda is recovering in Halifax due to car accident. For further info or to donate, contact Susan Daniels, 538-3441
• Valentine’s Dance – at Waterville & District Fire Department, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Door prizes include White Point Beach, Calisher’s and Driftwood Restaurants. Tickets $7.50 at 692-1691
• Hardy Breakfast - 8 to 10:30 a.m., at the Masonic Hall, 110 Mill Street, Berwick. Adults $6. Children $3. Now wheelchair accessible.
• Legion Breakfast - Kentville Legion, River St. Kentville, 7:30-10 a.m. Adults $5, children 12 and under $3
• Cabaret Evening - Acadia’s Singing Theatre Production Ensemble hosts its annual event, Divas and Desserts. Features singing by the voices of Acadia’s School of Music and is family friendly, 7 p.m. in the MacKeen Room of the Student’s Union Building. $15 adults, $10 students ($50 for a table of four adults). To reserve seating call 585-1512.
• Kettlebell Fitness - eight week program, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., 2nd floor at Kentville Recreation Centre. Limited space. Kettlebells provided, bring your own mat. Pre-registration required, call Nichole at 679-2556 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• Valentine’s Tea - 2 to 5 p.m., North Alton Baptist Church, "The Arc." Variety of desserts. Freewill offering, door prizes, everyone welcome. Sponsored by the B.W.A.
• Variety Show - Forties Community Centre, 1787 Forties Rd. New Ross, 1:30-4:30 p.m. admission $5. Lots of local talent. Canteen available, for more information call 689-2612 or 689-2000
• Valley Gardeners Club Meeting - 7:30 p.m. in room 2101, Kingstec campus of NSCC, Kentville. Stan Kochanoff will speak on "Pruning, Planting and Tree Health Care," all are welcome.
• Pancakes - Girl Guides holding Shrove Tuesday pancake, ham and baked bean supper at the Waterville fire hall. Freewill offering, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Proceeds benefit Hardwood Lake Girl Guide Camp.
• Shrove Tuesday - Pancake Supper, 5-7 p.m. L'Arche building, 341 Main St., Wolfville. Adults $7, children under three eat free. The first child between three and 12 years $3, all additional children eat free.
• A.C.W. Supper - All Saints’ A.C.W. hosts an annual Shrove Tuesday Supper, 4:30-6 p.m. at the All Saints’ Church Hall, Pleasant Street, Kingston (turn west off Bridge Street). Ham, baked beans, scalloped potatoes, pancakes and gingerbread. $10 per plate. Family rates and take out available. Contact Sheila Hulford 765-4023
• Meeting - Cambridge United Baptist Church Cemetery Company’s annual meeting, 7 p.m., at the Cambridge Community Centre. All lot owners are urged to attend.
• Kings Presbyterian Pancakes - Shrove Tuesday pancake supper, 4:30-6:30 p.m., Kings Presbyterian Church, 5563 Prospect Rd., New Minas. Freewill offering. Pancakes, sausages, baked beans, baked apples, gingerbread with sauce and beverage.
• Luncheon - at the Kingston Lions Hall 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Turkey dinner with mashed potatoes, vegetables and dessert. $8 or $8.50 delivered.
• Meeting - The Port Williams Health Auxiliary will be meeting on Tues. Feb. 12 at
2 p.m. downstairs in the Baptist Church. Guest speaker will be David
Graham, Executive Director of Brigadoon. Everyone is welcome.
• Valentine Coffee - Kentville & Area Women's Connection, 9:30 a.m., at the Berwick Lions Club Hall - $8. Speaker Hank Veenhuis, Upper Stewiacke, Music by George Estey and feature on card making by Dora Crosby. Contact Peggy at 678-5522 before Feb. 10 for reservations.
• Meeting - Valley Women’s Business Network meeting, finding wellness through life/work balance, 7-9 p.m., King’s Riverside Court, 125 Webster Street, Kentville. Free to members and their first-time guests. $5 at the door for returning guests.
• Meeting - of the Annapolis Valley Decorative Artists, 7 p.m., at the Greenwich Fire Hall. Anyone interested in decorative art is welcome.
• St. Valentine Luncheon and Auction - by Augustine Church Guild at the Forties Community Centre. Doors open at 11:30 a.m., luncheon at noon. Adults $, children $3, preschoolers free. Storm date Feb. 15.
• Valentine Candlight Dinner - at the Aylesford United Church. Storm date: Feb. 15. All tickets to be pre-sold, $25 per couple, $15 per person, limited seating. Call 847-3507 or 847-9774
• Valentine’s Dinner - sponsored by the Port Williams and District Lions Club at 7 p.m. at the Port Williams Community Centre, $40 per couple. Door prizes and entertainment. In support of Brigadoon Village. For tickets, contact any Lions Club member or call 678-6532. Storm date Feb. 15.
• Music Night – with Bev, starting at 9 p.m. at the Canning Legion. Open to everyone 19 plus. Minimum cover charge of $2 per person. Enjoy great music.
• Good Neighbour Club Breakfast - at the Centreville Community Hall, 7-10:30 a.m. Freewill offering. Everyone welcomed.
• Coldbrook Lions Breakfast - all you can eat, freewill offering. For information, call Marsha 692-0579
• Dance - Coldbrook Lions Dance, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., $6 per person. Music by Rte 12. For more information, call 538-8050
• Crib Tournament - Kentville Legion Ladies Auxiliary crib tournament. Registration 12:30 p.m., play at 1 p.m. upstairs, $20 per team. Lunch served compliments of the ladies
• Breakfast – held by Scott’s Bay Community Hall Association, 8-10 a.m. Adults $5, under 12 $2.50. Proceeds for hall upkeep. For more information, contact Jerry at 582-7489 or Hope at 582-3603.
• Variety Music Night – held by the Kingston Lions at the Kingston Lions Hall, 7 p.m., admission $5. Performances by Valley Blue, Chad Brown and Lois Lutz, and Wanda Beaudoin (Newfie)
• Legion Dance – Held at the Kentville Legion, 9:30 p.m. $6 per person, music by Sidewinders.
• Potluck and Service - ACTS of Worship (formerly Rally in the Valley), Coldbrook Baptist Church. Fellowship/potluck supper 5:30 p.m., service 7 p.m. All ages welcome.
• Breakfast - Aylesford United Breakfast Church, 8-11 a.m. Freewill offering. Sponsored by the Committee of Stewards for church expenses.
• Roast Beef Supper - Forties Community Centre, 1787 Forties Rd., New Ross. Adults $11, children five to 12 $5.50, under five $2.50, 4:30-6 p.m. For information, call 689-2000 or 689-2312
• Benefit Supper - for Sandra Comeau of Cambridge to help with medical expenses, at the Waterville Fire Hall, 4:30-6 p.m. Menu will be Jim Lamb ham, potato scallop, beans, and assorted desserts. Call Alice Oickle, 538-1352, to volunteer to work or donate.
• Taoist Tai Chi – Beginner classes at Berwick town hall gym, Feb. 18, 6-7:30 p.m.; Kentville Lions Club Feb. 19, 6-8 p.m. and Feb. 21, 12:30-2 p.m. For more, call 678-4609.
• Historical Society Meeting - at 2 p.m. in the Wolfville Fire Hall. Guest speaker Dr. Julian Gwyn, speaking on the History of the N.S. Fruit Growers’ Association, which is nearing its 150 anniversary. Everyone welcome.
• Variety Show – 2-5 p.m. at the Kentville Legion. Admission $ 5, 50/50 draw, door prizes, canteen. Country Heat, Basil Davidson, Cy Brown Band and more. All proceeds for the Kinette Club of Kentville & District
• Meeting - General meeting and election of directors, to be held at West Brooklyn Hall. Storm day March 4.
• Turkey Farmers of Nova Scotia - annual meeting 8 a.m. at the Old Orchard Inn Greenwich. Dinner banquet with chicken producers following the morning session. Pre-register with the board office before Feb. 8.