Rev. Thelma MacLeod, right, and members of the Bethany Baptist Church seniors group in Aldershot celebrated the group’s tenth anniversary on Feb. 19. A noon meal and birthday cake marked the event. - Wendy Elliott, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Your Way to Wellness – free, 2.5-hour, weekly program for controlling or managing symptoms of ongoing health conditions. Greenwood, AVM Morfee Centre, Military Family Resource Centre, Monday’s 6 to 8:30 p.m., Feb. 25-April 1; Woodville, Woodville Community Hall, Tuesdays, 1-3:30 p.m., Feb. 26- April 2. Registration is required; contact Pat Lithgow-Rose, 538-1315, email@example.com
• Roast Beef Supper - Aylesford Lions Hall, 4:30-6:30 p.m. Free will donation, take out available. Proceeds for the West Kings Football Team, Scotiabank matching donations. 50/50 draw
• Talent Show - African youth talent show. 6:30 p.m. Horton High School. Info: Lawrence Parker, 542-6075.
• Meeting - CFUW Wolfville meeting 7:15 p.m. Manning Memorial Chapel. Club night and fundraiser. Food bank donations will be collected. Refreshments will be served.
• Meeting – 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Coldbrook Lion’s Club. To discuss strategies to support affordable housing. Freewill offering. Register: 300-5266 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Meeting - Annapolis Valley Chapter of Autism Nova Scotia monthly meeting. 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Beveridge Arts Centre, Room 235, Acadia University, Wolfville. Info session with occupational therapist. Contact: Lori Smith, 765-9108.
• Photography Lecture - 7:30 p.m., Room 10 Huggins Science Hall, Acadia University. Open to the public, 34th Annual Huggins Science Seminar, "Ocean Soul: A Story of Love, Discovery, and Hope," public lecture by Photographer and Photojournalist (National Geographic Magazine) Brian Skerry. Information contact Dr. Michael Stokesbury 585-1195 or Fax 585-1059
• Meeting - Northville Farm Heritage Centre annual general meeting at 7:30 p.m, in Heritage Hall. All are welcome to attend.
• Front Row Centre – presented by Just Us Coffee Roasters Co-Op at the Al Whittle Theatre, Wolfville. Evening of four contemporary dance masterpieces. $20 adults, $15 students and seniors, available at Just Us or at the door.
• Family Movie Night – At KCA school in Kentville. Showing Ice Age 4 - Continental Drift.
Doors open at 6 p.m., with 6:30 p.m. showtime. Freewill offering for the KCA PTA. Canteen available. Open to the general public.
• World Day of Prayer - Service
2 p.m. at St. James' Anglican Church. Corner of Main Street and Prospect Avenue, Kentville
• Service - World Day of Prayer Service 2 p.m. at the Orchard Valley United, Wolfville (formerly St. Andrew's United Church). Theme is "I Was a Stranger and You Welcomed Me," with a focus on migration. Speaker: Ingrid Blais of L'Arche Homefires. Contact Jane Hynes at 542-5208 for more info.
• Bottle Drive – Central Kings High School band students will be knocking on doors in Coldbrook and surrounding areas. Or drop off refundable bottles and cans at Coldbrook Foodland before noon.
• Meeting – Annual meeting of Willow Bank Cemetery, Wolfville. 2 p.m. Wolfville Ridge United Baptist Church, Ridge Road.
• Winter Frolic - Northville Farm Heritage Centre, Steadman Road. Sleigh rides, bonfire, drawing workshops held on the hour (beginners only, all materials supplied) and light refreshments. Freewill offering. Storm date: March 9.
• Pancake breakfast - at Bethany Memorial Baptist Church, Aldershot, 8-10 a.m. Freewill offering.
• Breakfast - New Minas and District Lions Breakfast, 7- 10:30 a.m. at the Millett Community Complex, Adults $6, children $3.
• Lions Breakfast - Hantsport & District Lions Club breakfast, 7 to 10 a.m. at the Lockhartville Community Hall, Hutchinson Road, $6 per person, children six-12 years $3. Children five and under free. Proceeds for Lions community service programs.
• Hymn Sing - 7 p.m. Stoney Hill Baptist Church, Lockhartville. Special guest Brent Reid, Cornerstone Ministry. Lunch to follow.
• Crib Tournament - Forties Community Centre, New Ross. Doors open at noon. Registration: 12:30 p.m. Play: 1 p.m. $20 team. Canteen available. Info: 689-2147.
• Turkey Farmers of Nova Scotia - annual meeting 8 a.m. at the Old Orchard Inn Greenwich. Dinner banquet with chicken producers following the morning session. Pre-register with the board office before Feb. 8.
• Benefit - Musical Concert for Pastor Tim Bigelow, 2-4 p.m., at the Waterville and District Fire Hall. Music by Sonlight, Old Country, Matt Lunn and others. Freewill offering.
Benefit Show - auction, bake table, 50/50 tickets, 2-5 p.m. at the Kentville Legion. Talent includes MC Basil Davidson, Country Heat, Robin Wright, Cy Brown and others. Kitchen open. Proceeds go to four-year-old Shay Corburn-Brewer for medical/travel expenses.
• Garden Club - Valley Gardeners Club meeting at 7:30 p.m., Room 2101 at the Kingstec campus of NSCC in Kentville. Mike Mainguy and Marcel Kolb will speak on "Grape Growing" sharing their knowledge and growing techniques. All are welcome.