Wrong number brings Greenwich woman an angel

Wendy Elliott
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Greenwich Road.

By Wendy Elliott

welliott@kingscountynews.ca

Something prevented Stephen Dykens from hanging up on a wrong number recently - and he’s glad he did.

The Wolfville resident was driving between New Minas and his home when his hands-free phone rang. An elderly woman was on the other end of the line.

“She was scared. She couldn’t find her daughter and she thought she was having a stroke,” Dykens recalled.

“I asked her where she was, she told me Greenwich Road, and it was craziest thing, I lifted my head and I saw the sign for Greenwich Road at that moment in time.”

Dykens turned off Highway 1, looking for the address the woman had given him. He and his passenger, Monty Levy, located the right house and found Eileen O’Hara.

“She was distraught,” he said. “I tried to comfort her, while my passenger dialed 911.”

They stayed with O’Hara, who has been blind for over 50 years, until EHS arrived, and then he contacted the daughter she had been attempting to reach.

I asked her where she was, she told me Greenwich Road, and it was craziest thing, I lifted my head and I saw the sign for Greenwich Road at that moment in time. Stephen Dykens

A second daughter, Ruth Gaul, said that her mother, who is a cancer patient, turned out to have bleeding in her brain. O’Hara was later stabilized in hospital. Dykens called to check on her condition.

“There are angels,” she said later. “A thank you card is not enough.”

Levy even went to visit O’Hara at Valley Regional Hospital with his girlfriend.

Gaul said she can’t get over the act of kindness that send two rescuers to her mother.

“I’d just left to do some errands.”

Dykens recalled he ignored the impulse to hang up on the wrong number because O’Hara, who’d dialed a single wrong digit, sounded legitimately in need.

“It was the freakiest thing, like I was meant to be there. I listened and I was right there. It was a great feeling.”

He said his instinct now would be to pay attention to what might usually be perceived as a nuisance call.

Organizations: Valley Regional Hospital

Geographic location: Greenwich Road, Greenwich, Wolfville

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Marlene
    July 15, 2012 - 21:34

It just go to show that Nova Scotia people are great and willing to help anyone.

• margie raynes
    July 14, 2012 - 17:29

this story gives me goose bumps. i definitely believe things happen for a reason and stephen i am glad you didn/t hang up . you were indeed meant to help this lady . what a beautiful story

• meg macdonald
    July 14, 2012 - 16:33

Folks: I saw an expression on a chuch marquee recently and it said: 'COINCIDENCE IS WHEN GOD PREFERS TO REMAIN ANONYMOUS'. Indeed, we are not alone.

• Byron
    July 14, 2012 - 14:18

What are the odds of the wrong number being dialed and being right there by the sign? 100% now. Forces that many don't believe in or understand at work. That still small voice speaking. All we have to do is pay attention. There are no coincidences, it was all planned.

• charlotte
    July 13, 2012 - 21:54

all i can say is wow there is a power higher then us

• Natalia
    July 13, 2012 - 19:50

While I respect your opinion, I think we are calling the two young men angels. Angels come in all forms, and whether you believe in divine intervention or not, something made these guys act in the appropriate manner, when as they have admitted it might normally be a call to ignore. I believe something greater was at work, and that's not to take away from the humanity either. Please respect the opinions of those who feel the same. The world needs more kindness, and most of us would like to believe that someone is watching out for us.

• Gloria
    July 13, 2012 - 17:48

I believe in miracles and this was one of them. Plain and simple. Bless these two people for listening to their Special Angel.

• Nova Redden
    July 13, 2012 - 17:19

Wow Stephen, you really are an angel; who knew :) Great job buddy, drop over and see us soon.

• Wanda
    July 13, 2012 - 16:17

Angels certainly were there for her and you guys listened what a great act of kindness. There are no coincidence's just people that listened to their heart when the Angel's speak.

• Kari
    July 13, 2012 - 16:05

Just another great example of Nova Scotian kindness. Congrats Gentlemen.

• heather lees
    July 13, 2012 - 15:06

this story could of ended so tragic,but by not hanging up ,you saved a life,spared a family of tragity..glad to hear there is still kindness out there ,god bless you!

• Rachel
    July 13, 2012 - 12:53

Amazing story! I do LOVE Nova Scotia and the wonderful people here!:) Imagine, wrong number and you were right there! Simply incredible and very fortuitous for her:)

• sash
    July 13, 2012 - 12:28

Wow that is so amazing it just brought tears to my eyes. Congrats to these amazing gentlemen. Nice to know there are people like them in the world. hope the town or province recognizes them for their kindness. We need more people like them in this world.

• Judy
    July 13, 2012 - 11:17

What a wonderful story. We hear too much bad stuff. I'm glad there are still caring people in the world.

• Pamela
    July 13, 2012 - 10:54

Good job people! Thanks, Wendy, for sharing.

• Bud Mosher
    July 13, 2012 - 10:47

Thank goodness we have people who are willing to go out of there way to lend a hand. These two men deserve a medal.

• EILEEN
    July 13, 2012 - 10:24

what amazing people!

• Marcy Dwyer
    July 13, 2012 - 09:55

This is amazing. What a wonderful act of kindness.

• S Whitney
    July 13, 2012 - 09:16

Kudos to both these men,,,, with the constant barrage of horrible news in our world, it's so refreshing to see such kindness and consideration. well done.

• Linda Viallet
    July 12, 2012 - 23:26

I think this proves that angels do exist!

• Kim Blades
      July 13, 2012 - 09:00

stephen Ido believe things happen for a reason and you were meant to be there at that time and place.

• Sharon Webster
      July 13, 2012 - 09:43

There certainly are angels. Powers much higher than us made that happen!!!

• Haligonian
      July 13, 2012 - 13:02

This proves that it was an amazingly astonishing coincidence a wonderful act of selflessness. These men did the right thing when the time came. Don't attribute it to imaginary fairies from the sky, they are the lady's heros and saying it was "angels" takes away from that.