Students at Northeast Kings Education Centre in Canning ended up with a shorter-than-expected school day Nov. 6.
Canning firefighters responded shortly after 11 a.m. to a report of a fire alarm sounding at the school. Further reports indicated there was smoke in a portion of the school.
On investigation, firefighters found a small fire had been set in one of the male washrooms.
The fire was noticed by a staff member, and another staff member immediately used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.
Firefighters set fans to ventilate a significant amount of smoke from the building.
The fire was extinguished fairly quickly, with little damage, but school administration made the decision to dismiss students for the day at 12:30 p.m.
Firefighters remained on the scene until 1:20 p.m.
Kings District RCMP were investigating the incident as suspicious.
Spokesman Cst. Blair MacMurtery confirmed late in the afternoon Nov. 6 that no suspects had been identified or come forward.
The school board confirmed there had been no injuries, and it was expected everything would be back to normal for the start of classes Wednesday morning.
The students of Northeast Kings Education Centre are being sent home at 12:30 p.m. today due to a minor fire. There were no injuries.
Sources at the scene have indicated the origin of the fire was in a bathroom of the school.