Advertiser Register logo
By John DeCoste
A fire Sunday morning in Canning destroyed a garage and damaged two other garages as well as the siding on a nearby house.
Fortunately, a prompt response by firefighters kept the damage from being far worse than it was.
Canning firefighters responded to the original alarm shortly before 11:30 a.m. and on their arrival, found an approximately 16 by 20 garage fully involved. More alarmingly, the fire had already spread to an adjacent 20 by 20 garage on a neighbouring property.
The fire eventually caught a third 30 by 15 garage, also in close proximity on yet another property, and had started to melt the siding on an adjacent house before firefighters were able to fairly quickly get it under control.
The location of the fire was Elm Street â ironically, the street immediately north of (and behind) the Canning fire station, so according to deputy fire chief Jeff Skaling, firefighters "had a very quick response time" to reach the scene.
That, combined with the fact that there were "lots of firefighters around" on a Sunday morning, limited the damage, which, while substantial, was nothing like it could have been had all four buildings involved been totally destroyed.
Firefighters also benefitted from "that part of the village being serviced by fire hydrants," which proved to be a huge factor in the quick knockdown. As it was, the blaze "destroyed the garage where the fire started," caused "quite a bit of damage" to the second garage and "moderate" damage to the third, Skaling said. Damage to the house was superficial, limited to the melted siding.
The fire was knocked down fairly quickly â that, and the help of a crew from Station 2 in Scott's Bay, resulted in no mutual aid being required. At its height, the fire was "very intense, with a lot of black smoke" that could be seen as far away as New Minas.
The fire was discovered by the homeowner of the garage where the fire started, who immediately called it in. Skaling confirmed there was no one home at the other two properties, though the property owners were able to be located.
The fire has been deemed "purely accidental in nature," and all the affected properties were insured.