Fire guts garage in Lake Paul, house saved
Advertiser Register logo
By Nancy Kelly
The Aylesford and District Fire Department’s Lake Paul sub-station “saved the day” when fire broke out in a garage in the community on the afternoon of Nov. 30.
Department Chief Shawn Carey credited members of the nearby sub-station for responding quickly to the large fire at 3408 Aylesford Road and keeping a steady flow of water on the neighbouring house to prevent it from erupting in flames.
Firefighters from Aylesford headed to the scene after a report of a fire at a 40 by 30-foot garage was called into the base station, located about 25 minutes from Lake Paul, at 4:20 p.m.
The structure, used for storage and as a workshop, housed a truck, tractor and ATV, all of which were destroyed by the fire.
Firefighters from Kingston, Berwick, Waterville and Kentville departments responded in mutual aid and were challenged with keeping the fire from spreading to the house, located only 30 feet away from the burning garage.
“A quick response from the local sub-station made all the difference,” said Carey, who reported the house was left with melted siding from the intense heat of the blaze, but otherwise sustained no damage. The garage was gutted, however.
The fire kept crews busy for three hours. The cause will be investigated by the Fire Marshal’s office.