Five projects in Kings and Hants counties will receive federal funding.
“Our government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity in our communities,” announced Defence Minister Peter MacKay.“By improving our community facilities, we are helping to boost economic activity and maintain a high quality of life for Canadians.”
The Government of Canada’s combined investment of $330,250 will support upgrades to five community facilities:
- Acadia University is receiving $101,000 to support upgrades at its Athletics Complex, including repairs and renovations to the pool, arena and adjoining public change rooms.
- The Canning District Recreational Commission is receiving $101,000 to support the rehabilitation of the Glooscap Arena, including repairs to dressing rooms and the replacement of hockey boards, glass and its ice plant condenser.
- Centrestage Theatre Company in Kentville is receiving $39,000 to support improvements to the exterior of its theatre, including repair masonry and the replacement of damaged wood and windows.
- Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia in Windsor is receiving $81,000 for essential structural repairs, including repairs to the roof and structural façade, as well as interior safety upgrades to the performing arts centre.
- The Windsor Agricultural Society is receiving $49,000 to support increased event seating capacity at the Hants County Exhibition Grounds.
The province is supporting two of the projects: Nova Scotia Health and Wellness is investing $110,000 in the Canning District Recreational Commission and Nova Scotia Communities, Culture and Heritage is investing $30,000 in the Mermaid Theatre of Nova Scotia.
“Encouraging Nova Scotians in all regions to be physically active and involved in their communities is a priority for this government,” said Kings North MLA Jim Morton. “Facilities like the Glooscap Arena and Mermaid Theatre give the residents of Kings and Hants Counties a place to play, socialize and create a prosperous Nova Scotia.”
See more in the next edition of The Advertiser.