© Wendy Elliott
Wolfville master artist Alex Colville is shown in a file photo at his most recent local exhibition, which was held in 2009 at the Acadia Art Gallery.
Acclaimed Canadian artist Alex Colville has died.
According to the artist's website, the 92-year-old died peacefully at home July 16.
Born in Toronto, Colville moved to Amherst as a young child before attending Mount Allison University in New Brunswick. He moved to Wolfville in 1973 and became chancellor of Acadia University in 1981.
Colville was predeceased by Rhoda, his wife of more than 60 years who died late last year, and his son John. He is survived by two sons, a daughter and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
- Read more special articles:
- Colvilleâ€™s studio to be part of Mount Allison
- Artist Alex Colvilleâ€™s house for sale in Wolfville
- WENDY ELLIOTT: Alex Colville's iconic images featured in Toronto show
- Mount Allison University announces Alex Colville Gift
Friends and admirers of the artist reacted to news of the artist's death on Twitter late Wednesday night by sharing their memories and their favourite Colville work.
More to come..