UNION CORNER, N.S. – A patch of grass was ignited shortly after 3 p.m. on Highway 215 in Union Corner. Luckily it was doused before it spread very far.
The Brooklyn Volunteer Fire Department and the Department of Natural Resources responded to the scene.
Brooklyn Fire Chief Andy McDade said the dry, warm conditions make the likelihood of these types of incidents skyrocket.
“People need to start checking the burn restrictions on the natural resources website,” McDade said. “That’s where we’re getting in trouble. Today is a no-burn day.”
On April 23, the entire province was under a restricted burn day, meaning burning is only permitted between 7 p.m. and 8 a.m. the following day.
Check before you burn – click this link to see if burning is restricted or not
In the mid-afternoon of April 23, the wind speed was up and relative humidity was down, making the dry grass extra flammable.
“Cigarettes aren’t a huge cause of fires when the humidity is up, but when it’s down, (throwing one out your window) can cause a lot of problems very quickly,” he said. “It’s not as bad once the grass green-up, but within the next month is the most problematic time.”
McDade said that if people pay closer attention to burn restrictions, there shouldn’t be as many incidents like this one.