Top News

Kentville rink evacuated after smoke fills compressor room

Kentville firefighters were called to the Kentville Arena Feb. 14 after smoke was smelled in the building.
Kentville firefighters were called to the Kentville Arena Feb. 14 after smoke was smelled in the building. - Jenn Hoegg

KENTVILLE, NS - Players from Acadia minor hockey were on the ice when the smell of smoke filled the rink Feb. 14. 

An official from the Kentville fire department said crews were returning from responding to an accident on Highway 12 when called to the arena next to the fire station. The call came in around 5:39 p.m. 

“A belt in the compressor room burned off, there were no injuries, but there was a lot of smoke in the room and we cleared the smoke out of that room and the rink was evacuated,” said an official with the Kentville fire department. 

Arena manager Kevin Bennett said three belts had stopped on the refrigeration unit, creating the smoke.

Repairs were quickly made and the next group of players was on the ice shortly after 6 p.m.

Recent Stories