North Kentville man to serve jail time after conditional sentence terminated

Published on March 16, 2016

KENTVILLE - A North Kentville man who was handed a conditional sentence with house arrest for assault March 1 has had his conditional sentence terminated and will spend the remaining time in jail.

Justin Charles Armstrong, 33, pleaded guilty to assault in December. He was handed a two-month conditional sentence with house arrest for the entire time March 1. He was also sentenced to 10 months of reporting probation, was fined a $100 victim surcharge and the court granted a secondary DNA order.

Armstrong was back in Kentville provincial court in custody March 11 on an allegation that he breached conditions. The Crown was opposed to his release and Armstrong was remanded in custody until March 14 for a breach hearing.

Armstrong admitted the breach March 14. Judge Alan Tufts terminated the conditional sentence and ordered Armstrong to spend the remaining 48 days in jail.

Armstrong breached conditions to keep the peace and to be of good behaviour; to have no direct or indirect contact or communication with the victim except with her consent and to remain in his residence and to be available for phone calls at all times for the entire period of the conditional sentence.

According to court documents, the manager of the victim’s workplace contacted police March 11 to report that Armstrong had visited the workplace that morning. Police followed up with the victim and confirmed the information.

The victim also provided text messages from the offender that contained threatening statements. Armstrong was located at his home, arrested and charged with two counts of uttering threats to cause bodily harm or death. He was held in custody pending a breach of conditional sentence hearing.

The victim said she started receiving calls and text messages from Armstrong around 7:50 p.m. March 10. One message said he was going to stop by her workplace around break time the following morning.

Armstrong has been remanded in custody on the threat charges until April 11 for the continuation of a bail hearing. Armstrong has been ordered to have no contact with the two alleged victims.