WINDSOR, N.S. — Windsor firefighters made short work of a brush fire at the site of the former tourist bureau in town.
Lieut. Andrew Steeves, the incident commander, said they received multiple calls around 8:50 p.m. July 13.
“Responding to the station, I personally saw the flames and the smoke so I came to the scene and found a small fire along the shore,” said Steeves.
“Not sure exactly how it started — probably careless use of smoking material or somebody playing with lighters.”
Steeves said with the hot, dry weather that the area has been experiencing this summer, people need to be more vigilant when it comes to discarding cigarette butts or flammable material.
“Basically this time of year, everything is so dry,” said Steeves. “With all of the hot weather that we've had, even a small spark can make things go pretty quick.”
About eight firefighters responded to the evening call.
March 15 to Oct. 15 is classified as wildfire risk season in the province. Anyone wishing to burn domestic brush or have a campfire must check the Nova Scotia burning restrictions. They're updated daily at 2 p.m. Visit: https://novascotia.ca/burnsafe.