Top News

Investigation leads to second set of threats charges as a result of alleged social media activity

RCMP logo
RCMP logo

SHELBURNE COUNTY, N.S.  – A second man has been arrested in relation to an ongoing investigation into threats that were alledgely made online on social media towards Indigenous fishers in southwestern Nova Scotia.

The RCMP say the alleged threats were made in August.

According to an RCMP media release, on Sept. 28, a 33-year-old Clark's Harbour man was arrested without incident in a home in Barrington. He is facing charges of two counts of uttering threats and one count of breach of probation.

He was released on conditions later that day, and is scheduled to appear in Shelburne Provincial Court on Dec. 6.

This is the second man to be charged in relation to this investigation. A 36-year-old man from Clyde River was arrested on Sept. 22. He is also facing two counts of uttering threats and is scheduled to appear in Shelburne Provincial Court on Dec. 6.

The names of the men were not released by the RCMP.

At the time of the first arrest, the RCMP said they had been attempting to locate a second man.

RCMP media relations officer Corporal Jennifer Clarke said following the first arrest that people must remember that any words of a threatening nature are treated the same by police and the court regardless of whether they are said face-to-face to someone, or if they are posted online. Both methods can carry the same serious criminal implications.

“You can't just say stuff without consequence on there,” she said about online activity.

The investigation, meanwhile, is ongoing.

Latest News