Discarded cigarette likely cause of Greenwich Fire Hall scare

Kirk Starratt
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Greenwich Fire Chief Dave Miller said it appears a carelessly disposed of cigarette lit the bark mulch outside the Greenwich Fire Hall, causing a scare of a possible structure fire.

By Kirk Starratt




It was most likely a discarded cigarette that caused the bark mulch to smoulder and luckily not a structure fire at the Greenwich Fire Hall.

Traffic on Highway 1 was re-routed around the hall via the Sunnyside Road during the afternoon March 30 as Greenwich firefighters responded to a call about a possible structure fire at their own hall.

Chief Dave Miller said a cigarette was the likely cause of the scare. Wolfville firefighters responded in mutual aid with their aerial ladder truck and a Nova Scotia Power crew and EHS paramedics were on the scene as a precaution. Firefighters and the RCMP provided traffic control.

“We checked it out, there’s nothing there,” Miller said shortly after Highway 1 was reopened to traffic.

The aerial ladder truck was used to check the roof of the building. Miller said it appears smoke from the burning mulch bark went up under the siding on the building and out through the top.

Organizations: Nova Scotia Power, RCMP

Geographic location: Sunnyside Road, Greenwich, Wolfville

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page