KINGS COUNTY - For the third year, this holiday season locals can fill a box of cheer for people in need here at home.
Valley Family Fun and the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) have paired up to create a program called Fill a Box of Cheer: The Local Option.
“There are many adults in need locally who often don’t qualify for support through traditional programs, such as any targeted towards family and children,” says Candy O’Brien of CMHA.
To participate, start with a box of any size and fill it with a combination of any of the following items for adults:
- Toiletries: toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, deodorant, shampoo, body wash, small packs of tissues, feminine hygiene products, razors
- Clothing: socks, slippers, gloves, hats, mittens
- Stationary: pencils, pens, notebook, coloured pencils, markers
- Gifts: instant coffee, mug, food gift cards, candy, gum, cards, adult colouring books
“We also will take donations of random items so we can build boxes ourselves from the donations,” says O‘Brien.
Gift wrap and scotch tape are also needed. Filled, unwrapped boxes can be dropped at any of the following locations:
- Berwick Recreation Department, 236 Commercial Street (Berwick Town Hall)
- Canning Village Office, 977 J Jordan Rd, Canning
- Holiday Cheer Workshop, County Fair Mall, New Minas (former Wicker Emporium location)
- Kentville Town Hall, 354 Main Street
- Louis Millet Community Complex, 9489 Commercial Street, New Minas
- PeopleWorx Society, 11 Opportunity Lane, Coldbrook
- Port Williams Village Office, 1045 Main Street, Port Williams
- Wolfville Town Hall, 359 Main St, Wolfville
This year, there will be a Box of Cheer Holiday Workshop at the County Fair Mall in New Minas in the former Wicker Emporium location. Hours to drop items at the mall will be posted on the Facebook page, Fill a Box of Cheer Annapolis Valley, or can be found by e-mailing email@example.com. Or, items can be dropped in the box in front of the storefront.
The boxes will be divided equally between Kings County organizations, including Canadian Mental Health Association, Chrysalis House, the Youth Portal, the Evangeline Club, Kids Action Program and the St. Vincent and St Paul’s Society and other organizations in need. To send a box of cheer to an adult living in isolation, contact O’Brien at 902-679-7573.
The deadline for box submissions is Dec. 5.
For more information, contact O’Brien at 902-679-7573 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.