WINDSOR, N.S. — Here's a look at what was making the news 25 and 50 years ago in the Hants Journal.
25 years ago (Jan. 19 and 26, 1994 editions)
• The owners of Pharmaglobe, a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant that set up shop in the West Hants Industrial Park, filed for bankrupty, leaving more than $5 million owing to creditors and having never produced anything.
Sepracor, a Massachusetts-based pharmaceutical research and development company, pitched a proposal to buy the location, offering to pay secured creditors in full while providing unsecured creditors 20-25 cents on the dollar. It was anticipated the proposal would be accepted.
• The municipal units of Windsor and West Hants were looking at court action after a long simmering road dispute between the two entities reached a boiling point.
West Hants council was preparing to take legal action if the town disallowed the county access on a town road to the Oakmount Subdivision.
This was a seven-year dispute, starting when Windsor denied access to a proposed subdivision on land near Brightman Avenue and Campbell Avenue in Curry’s Corner. The town wanted the municipality to compensate for the road being used, and agree to contribute toward upgrading the street and utilities.
• The 1993 Christmas Angels telethon raised $22,767 and helped 900 children in Hants County while 33 other children were sponsored by businesses and 99 benefited from the Tree of Hope.
• Central Supplies Limited announced it was setting up shop in Windsor near the Fort Edward Mall. It was the home improvement store’s fifth location in the province. The owner/operator Steve Smith said Windsor’s operation would fit in well with the chain’s existing customer base and felt the town had “tremendous opportunities for growth.” It was set to open in April.
• The Royal Canadian Legion was preparing to vote in May on whether its branches would allow the wearing of turbans.
The president of Branch 9 in Windsor told the Journal that while they didn’t have any Sikhs seeking to become members, the membership was mainly against any headdress being worn inside out of respect for the dead and the Queen.
• A powerful electromagnetic storm in space was cited as the reason for the brief failure of two of Canada's heavily used communication satellites. The outage resulted in several local television stations going off the air.
• Seventeen residents of the Masonic Home in Windsor were transported to the new Home for Special Care Unit at the Hants Community Hospital. The Masonic Home had announced its pending closure in 1993.
• Hilda Palmer was celebrated for her 46 years of dedicated service to playing the organ at the United Church in Mosherville.
• Members of the Hantsport Tea Room Artists painted a mural on the windows of the Hants Community Hospital as a way to help offset the winter blues. About 20 artists were part of the group.
• The Hants Journal was declared the first Smoke-Free business in Windsor in 1994.
• Hockey teams from Canada’s two oldest schools – King’s-Edgehill School, founded in 1788 in Windsor, and St. John Ravenscourt, founded in 1820 in Winnipeg – were set to kick off the inaugural Birthplace High School Hockey Tournament. An article on the front page of the newspaper detailed the history of the schools and how well KES was doing this season.
• The Riverview Figure Skating Club’s CanSkate team won gold at the Karen Norman CanSkate Competition in Greenwood for the team’s division. The winning team consisted of Shaun Hudson, Ryan Hudson, Claire Johnson, Sherry Wilson, Vanessa Howells and Gavin Whynot.
• The Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation received $10,000 following the Laurie Graham Celebrity Ski Challenge at Ski Martock.
• Jeff Ross, Gordon Caldwell and Marc DesRoches were named to the all star team at the Halifax Hawks’ Christmas Hockey Tournament. Caldwell was also named the tournament’s MVP.
50 years ago (Jan. 15 and 22, 1969 editions)
• An editorial, penned by Dave Allbon, the editor of the Hants Journal, appeared on the front page of the newspaper, announcing that Windsor Regional High School had a serious problem.
The editor noted that when the school was built in the 60s, it accommodated 650 students. In 1969, there were 750 students and 100 more being taught in emergency quarters in downtown Windsor. Within a few years, it was thought the number of students would swell to more than 1,000. He argued the pros and cons of expanding the school, which ratepayers were going to vote on later in the month. He indicated that before casting a vote, consider what expanding Windsor’s educational facilities would do: it would bring new industries and new personnel into town.
• A new $1,760 meals on wheels food wagon, donated to the Payzant Memorial Hospital, featured both hot and cold sections, which the Journal reported “greatly improved the quality of food being served to patients on the second floor of the hospital.”
• Billy Whelan, of Windsor, was considered one of Nova Scotia’s versatile folk singers. He was making a special guest appearance on the Don Messer CBC Network Television Show Jan. 31.
• Florence Pearl, of Curry’s Corner, was the grand prize winner in the Tulip Margarine Contest, taking home $1,000 in 1994. She won by shopping at the IGA Supermarket in Windsor. A total of 600 General Electric Reflector Toasters were awarded to runners-up in the contest; Miss V. Hood, of Falmouth, was the lucky local toaster winner.
• The Dominion Store was celebrating its 50th anniversary with special sales. A 12-ounce package of tomatoes was going for 27 cents, seven pounds of Dominion flour, for example, could be purchased for 67 cents while 72 Tetley tea bags cost 79 cents.
• The Imperial Theatre had a hit with Elvis Presley, who was portraying a pin-up photographer who didn’t want to get pinned down in Live A Little, Love A Little. The Windsor-based cinema was also showing Hootenanny Hoot, The Hell with Heroes, Walt Disney’s The Gnome-Mobile, and Duel At Diablo, starring Sidney Poitier.
• In the Hants History column dating back to 1944, the local school board deferred action on having a rifle range on the top floor of Windsor Academy and ordered the removal of all ammunition in the building; also, at the newspaper’s request, the lights in the town clock were turned on at night.
Also in January 1944, milk producers in the Windsor area were threatening to withhold milk if the government didn’t pay a bonus of 55 cents per 100 pounds.
In the Hants History column from 1919, the four-masted schooner known as Jessie Louise Farquhar launched from Hantsport. It weighed 1,100 tons and was equipped with two 100 horsepower engines.
In other news from 1919, Rev. A. E. Andrew, who served overseas, was awarded the Military Cross. A list of Hants County men returning from overseas duty also appeared in the Hants History section.