WOLFVILLE, NS - Icewine aficionados are in for a treat as the annual Nova Scotia Icewine Festival returns to the Annapolis Valley for the eleventh consecutive year.
Beginning in 2007, the festival has become a signature winter event welcoming more and more guests to the Valley each year. This year’s festival takes place over two weekends, from Feb. 24 to March 4.
This year’s festival will be hosted by the province’s newest winery, Lightfoot and Wolfville Vineyards. Participating wineries are excited to experience the new venue and look forward to introducing festival goers to the new winery.
For $35, each visitor receives 14 tokens that can be redeemed for wine or food samples, a ticket to enter a daily draw for 10 bottles of wine and a custom Icewine Festival tasting glass to take home.
Each Saturday, the main event runs from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m. and encompasses wine and food pairings, cocktail samples, a bon fire and grapevine wreath making from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. At an additional cost, there will be a wood fired country stew and raclette.
After the tasting event on Saturday, guests have the opportunity to take part in a ghost walk, a chilling outdoor and indoor adventure exploring the area’s ghost history.
On Sundays, the tasting event runs again from 12 p.m. to 4 p.m., including wine and food pairings, a bon fire, wood fired country stew, raclette and a snowshoe hike led by a winemaker, departing at 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. The snowshoe hike depends on the weather. Participants are asked to bring their own snowshoes.
Participating wineries include Avondale Sky, Benjamin Bridge, Blomidon Estate Winery, Domaine de Grand Pre, Gaspereau Vineyards, L’Acadie Vineyards, Lightfoot and Wolfville Vineyards, Luckett Vineyards, Planters Ridge and Sainte-Famille Wines.
Also joining the lineup this year are special guests the Annapolis Cider Company, Chain Yard Urban Cidery and mixologist Will Irvine of Bar Kismet.
Tickets can be purchased online at https://nsicewinefest.com/collections/2018-icewine-festival-tickets.
About the Organizers
- Avondale Sky is a boutique winery located at the beginning of the Annapolis Valley. Enjoy their terroir-driven wines with food, friends, beaches and sunsets. http://www.avondalesky.com
- Benjamin Bridge is a sparkling wine house located in the heart of the Gaspereau Valley on the Bay of Fundy, where the cool climate bears an uncanny affinity with the Champagne region of France. http://www.benjaminbridge.com
- Blomidon Estate Winery is a boutique winery nestled on the shore of the Minas Basin, near Canning. They produce 100 per cent Nova Scotia grown grapes and wines. www.blomidonwine.ca
- Domaine de Grand Pre is a family owned winery and restaurant, where wine and food is their passion and quality is their philosophy. www.grandprewines.ns.ca
- L’Acadie Vineyards is an award-winning producer of premium traditional method sparkling wine in Nova Scotia. www.lacadievineyards.com
- Gaspereau Vineyards, a premium boutique winery, operated by Devonian Coast Wineries Ltd. and located in the Gaspereau Valley. www.gaspereauwine.com
- Lightfoot & Wolfville Vineyards features biodynamic wines from classic vinifera in Nova Scotia wine country. They grow handcrafted small lot wines, with individual vineyard
block bottlings. https://lightfootandwolfville.com
- Luckett Vineyards is known for their iconic phone booth, crush pad bistro and impeccable wines, have a selection that is truly worth phoning home about. www.luckettvineyards.com
- Planters Ridge Winery is an artisanal winery located in Port Williams Nova Scotia. www.plantersridge.ca
- Sainte Famille Wines is located in Falmouth, the gateway to the Annapolis Valley. Vintners of premium Nova Scotia wines since 1989. www.st-famille.com