© Jennifer Hoegg
Members of the Acadia basketball teams - including, from left, Emily MacLeod, Rita Sibo and Miriam Franchetto - were canvassing March 14 in support of Camp Triumph. The PEI camp for children who have family members with chronic illnesses was founded by former Acadia basketball player and Wolfville native Jordan Sheriko. Sibo reported that the Axewomen collected $590 in donations and the Axemen another $350 through the evening. – Jennifer Hoegg, www.kingscountynews.ca
Events are for non-profit listings of events in Kings County. Items may run twice free before the event's date, and should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org; faxed to 681-0923 or mailed to PO Box 430, Kentville, B4N 3X4, attn: Events, at least a week before the first issue in which it should appear. Twenty word maximum, please. There is no guarantee of publication; to ensure publication, please consider a paid ad by contacting our sales department, 681-2121.
• Jam Session - North Alton Hall, 7-10 p.m. Door prize. Admission by donation.
• Karaoke - with Bev, 9 p.m., Canning Legion. Admission: $2. Info: call after 4 p.m., 582-7246.
• Fish and Chips Supper – 5-7 p.m. at the Kingston Legion, $7 eat-in or $7.50 take out. Info: 765-4428.
• Kentville Lion’s Spring Fling Dance - River Street, Kentville, 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., $6 per person, $10 per couple. Music by Vintage. Info: 679-4899. Proceeds to support Lion’s projects
•Dance - Royal Canadian Legion, Canning. Music by V-3. 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. $5.
• Ham Dinner – held by the Lakeville Women’s Institute, 4:30-6 p.m., at the Lakeville Community Centre, $10 per person; $25 per family with children 12 and under.
• Dance - Kentville Legion. 9:30 pm. $6 per person. Music by Reboot. 19 and over. Bar and kitchen available.
• Workshop - Kings County Federation of Agriculture workshop on mentoring for farmers, 8:30 a.m. to noon, Kentville Agricultural Centre. All farmers welcome. Contact Cheryl at email@example.com
• Dance - 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., Royal Canadian Legion, Canning. Classic Rock Music by V-3, $5 per person
• Wolfville Legion Breakfast - 7:30 to 10 a.m., $6 per plate, proceeds for expenses.
• Concert – by gypsy jazz band Swingology, 3 p.m., at Windsor United Church. Proceeds towards new sound system for the church. Tickets $20 at the door, $15 advance at Windsor United Church office, Moe's Place Music Sales or Andrew Connolly Optician, or call 902-792-7232.
• Bottle Drive – by Central Kings Band, 8:45 a.m. to noon. Based at Central Kings High School parking lot and knocking on doors throughout the local area.
• Musical Variety Show - Wolfville Lions Hall, 7 p.m. Freewill offering to assist Marvin Walsh. Canteen and 50/50
• Monthly Breakfast - St. James Anglican Church, Kentville, 8-10 a.m., minimum donation $6.
• Variety Show - Forties Community Centre, New Ross, 1:30 to 4 p.m., $5.
• Roast Beef Supper - 4:30-6 p.m., Canning Legion. Takeout available, call the Legion after 4 p.m. daily, $12.
• Canadian Federation of University Women meeting - 7:15 p.m. at the Manning Memorial Chapel Hall; scholarship presentation to Acadia student.
• Valley Ghost Walks - A Spooky Sampling Indoor Ghost Show, 7:30 p.m. at Manning Memorial Chapel, Acadia University. Tickets adults $15, students $10, available at Ticketpro.ca. Info: 692-8546, Jerome@valleyghostwalks.com
• Soup and Chowder Luncheon - South Alton Community Center, 11:30 a.m. to1:30 p.m. Adults $7, 12 and under: $3.50. Proceeds for community center.
• Ticket Auction – held byMeadowview Ladies Dart League. 50/50, tickets on $150 gift certificate, canteen available. Doors open at 11 a.m., draws at 1 p.m.
• Kentville Legion Dance - 9:30 p.m., $6 per person, must be 19 and over. Bar and kitchen available, music by Appaloosa.
• Cards - Cornwallis New Horizens Club, 45’s Card party in the seniors room at the Lion’s Hall, Canning. Registration 1 p.m., games at 1:30 p.m. Admission $2, Info: 678-2030 or 582-7346
• Ticket and Silent Auction - 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. at the Coldbrook Heritage Hall, Lovett Road. Over a 100 items and growing (new, slightly used and collectables). Cost $1 per envelope of 20 tickets. Info: 679-6676
• Turkey Supper - 4:30-6:30 p.m. at the Aylesford Fire Hall, $10 per plate, takeout available. Proceeds for the Aylesford Firefighters Auxiliary
• Benefit Show and Bake Auction - 50/50, kitchen open, 1:30-5 p.m. at the Kentville Legion. Lots of musical talent, $5. Proceeds for Richard Johnstone. Info: 678-7902
• Spring Tea and Sale – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Centerville Community Hall, freewill, sale table and gift basket draw. Sponsored by and proceeds for the Kentville Girl Guiding units. Info: 678-3979
• Music Night - 6:30 p.m. at the Coldbrook Baptist Church, fellowship to follow. Proceeds for Benevolent Fund
• Turkey Supper - Waterville & District Fire Department, 4-6 p.m. Adults $12.50, children $6 at the fire hall.
• Scottish Country Dance Classes - 7 p.m. at the Melvern Square Community Centre until May 12. No experience or partner is required. Reputed to be the best activity for both memory and physical exercise for all ages. Info: 765-0906.
• Meeting - Wolfville and area Newcomer’s Club monthly meeting, 7 p.m. at the Wolfville Farmers’ Market Building, Speaker James W. Wolford
• Jam Session - North Alton Hall, 7-10 p.m., door prize, 50/50, donation at the door.
• Book Sale - 47th annual CFUW Wolfville book sale, 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Also April 4, 9 a.m.-8 p.m., and April 5, 9 a.m.-6:30 p.m. At the Lions' Hall, Elm Street, Wolfville. Proceeds to Valley charities.
• Annual Variety Supper - 4:30-6 p.m.,
First Cornwallis Baptist Church, Upper Canard
Adults $10, youth five to 10 $5, under five free.
Take-out available, bake table. Info: 690-5425.
Proceeds for youth ministry.
• Breakfast - Berwick & District Lions Club, 8-10 a.m., Berwick Lions Hall, in the Apple Dome. Freewill offering.
• Hymn Sing - Stoney Hill Baptist Church, Lockhartville, 7 p.m. Lunch to follow.
• Crib Tournament - Forties Community Centre,
New Ross. Doors open at noon, registration at 12:30 p.m. and play at 1 p.m. $20 per team.
Info: 689-2147. Canteen available