Waterville airport to close

Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Waterville Airport sign

County council voted 10-1 in favour of closing the municipal airport in Waterville during a special meeting held tonight.

The closure will take effect Sept. 30. The county has pledged to undertake a business case for a new airport.

Councillor Patricia Bishop told council she would not support the closure due to the process it took to reach the decision.

More to come

Geographic location: Waterville

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• Andrew Robertson
    March 13, 2014 - 19:07

Indeed you are correct and I thank you. I just don't want to sound ungrateful to Ms. Brothers for putting the needs of her Voters first. I too was at the Monday meeting (1800 to 2200 hrs at the Kentville Municipal Building Chambers. Yes. Patricia Bishop as Councilor for her District 10: Greenwich, White Rock, Canaan, North Alton, South Alton and parts of Cambridge and Waterville. Her point was that proper procedures were not being followed. That was her point. CAO Tom MacEwan determined that procedures were being followed, so all the 11 Councilors spoke in their turn. The theme was "too bad so sad," and the Vote proceeded . The results speak for themselves. About 30 of us pilots, hangar owners and aviation business owners were there. Our opinions have not counted any more than Frank Comeau's petition which I and 100's of others signed. We personally witnessed Brothers at a previous meeting throw it back in Frank's face. If Brothers is right, then there will very soon be 100's of new jobs and a big boost to the local economy. On the other hand, if Michelin is to be believed, growth might eventually happen, but not any time soon. Times are tough. In that case maybe Ms. Brothers might hopefully have something else planned? See the ViewPoint.ca web site and type in Waterville Airport. Check out the way its' been gridded off into small lots. What's up? As for us rich fly boys I guess we'll jst have to find another sand box elsewhere. 30 Waterville aviation people soon to be unemployed and another dead airport with rusting tins sheds and grass growing up through the cracks.

• Chris Charland
    March 13, 2014 - 11:22

G'day What a narrow minded decision. Thankfully there is one level-headed member of the council. Waterville was used as a relief landing ground for No. 36 and later No. 8 O.T.U.'s during the war. I guess that does not mean much to people of today. I have many fond memories of flying into Waterville during the 1970's while posted to Greenwood. I liked flying tight circuits at night while trying to watch the drive-in movies. There is no way that a new airport is going to be built. The costs associated are too high. Besides, where would you locate it? Don't expect 14 Wing Greenwood to be the answer. This surely a sad day for aviation in Canada. Cheers...Chris

• Andrew Robertson
    March 13, 2014 - 10:55

When do they start pouring the foundations and hiring 100's of us Kings County residents? If a new subdivision or something goes in will our taxes go up?

• Frank Comeau
    March 12, 2014 - 13:16

I disagree with council making this decision, I kind of hoped that 280 people ( tax payers) of whom signed the petition that I turned in to council might have some influence on the decision to close the airport. Using Michelin as an excuse to close or move the Airport at the tune of 22 million plus dollars ( which was quoted) is lutacrist. As far as Michelin goes I am glad they are here and have brought prosperity to our area, but I don't think council should axe an airport that is used by a lot of people and that has been part of the community of Cambridge since wartime, based on maybe or perhaps of an expansion of Michelin when its council that wants the developement of the land. In my opinion council wants to use the land for other purposes.........

• Ed Graves
    March 11, 2014 - 10:45

It's high time the airport is closed. I agree with Council's decision. This airport was being id for by tax payers money and no one will admit just how much and that is concerning! Anyone that can afford a plane can pay for their own airport!

• Barbara Bishop
      March 12, 2014 - 11:12

31 people are employed there, in addition to the construction and spin off jobs e.g. one-time construction jobs at the airport and nearby- 121 and counting. It injects over 17 million dollars into local economy, provides a safe landing strip when needed by private pilots on business trips, is the place for training air cadets to fly, offers business opportunities. The Waterville Airport community patronizes local business. the Flight School is a business of great value to the area. The airport pays its way. Other businesses would have come but the hammer came down. Michelin looks like a sweet deal now. We'll see. Suggest people read the report written by CBCL Limited called "Waterville Municipal Airport Relocation Study." I hope Council has read it.

• Mark Levack
    March 11, 2014 - 08:13

"The county has pledged to undertake a business case for a new airport." = code for "We're not replacing it". What's the rationale for the closure?

• Barbara Bishop
    March 11, 2014 - 07:06

This will be a huge loss to the valley, economic and otherwise. The consultant hired with $100,000 of taxpayers' money did not recommend such a closure, and if necessary, it needed to be done only AFTER a new site was chosen and planned for. What process was followed? The failure to assist the present airport businesses and hangar owners is shameful. What is the Flight Centre to do? It too is a business. Why the rush?

• Carla
    March 11, 2014 - 05:52

Move over Michelin ...for what to lay more people off .....Big buisness OR a buisness with a local history AND USE !!!!!

• shane morse
    March 11, 2014 - 00:20

Many broken hearts around the Valley tonight I am sure and my future admirations of attending the flight school at waterville airport are gone for good. You should be fired diana brothers. I do not support you.

• WENDY LYNN
    March 10, 2014 - 23:04

IT'S A SHAME THAT WE ARE LOOSING OUR AIRPORT IT HAS BEEN IN THIS AREA FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER BACK AS A CHILD. IT WILL BE A BIG LOSS FOR OUR LITTLE COMMUNITY IT'S NOT FAIR THAT BIGGER COMPANIES ARE TAKING OVER EVERYWHERE. WHY WOULD THE COUNCILLORS THINK THIS WAS A GOOD DECISION ON OUR BEHALF..??

• WENDY LYNN
    March 10, 2014 - 23:04

• WENDY LYNN
    March 10, 2014 - 23:03

• Ruth Clark
    March 10, 2014 - 22:15

WHY don't they ask the people of the Valley what they want... how come councillors have to make all the decsions... we pay taxes and this airport is a wonderful asset to our Valley.... Michelin don't want to expand so WHAT is your proble???? I think this is a tragedy to the Valley..... From what we hear it is a "Brothers" deal!!!